There's an aching want out there in this frigid cold weather for a warm coat for those who can't afford one. You may have a jacket, a parka, or an overcoat that's hanging unused in your closet that can bring a lot of happiness and comfort to someone down on their luck.
If you're moved to help, here are some local centers that are accepting the gift of clean, gently-used coats - for children through adults, with a particular need for coats for the latter group.
JerseyCares, the Salvation Army, and other organizations have been running coat drives all season long, and some (see below) continue even through next year. Please, help if you can. You'll have an even merrier holiday season by helping someone who could use your kindness.
- Linders Cleaners, 130 Morristown Road (accepting coats through Feb. 7; hours, Mon. - Fri., 7 a.m.- 6 p.m.; Sat., 7 a.m.- 4 p.m.), 908-766-7404.
- Paul Miller Volkswagen, 118 Morristown Road (accepting coats through Feb. 7; hours, Mon. - Sat., 8 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.), 908-766-1600.
- Bridgewater YMCA, 601 Garretson Road (accepting coats through Feb. 7; hours, Mon. - Fri., 5 a.m. - 9 p.m; Sat.-Sun., 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.), 908-526-0688.
- Microsoft, 400 Commons Way (accepting coats through Dec. 31; hours, Mon. - Fri., 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.), 908-809-7320.
- Express Yourself Salon, Routes 202 and 513 (coats and new hats, mittens, etc. for the veterans at Lyons Hospital.) For more info: Community Hope, 199 Pomeroy Road, Parsippany, New Jersey 07054, ATTN: Julia Bey-Ahmet.
- Adam & Eve Hairstylist and Spa, 626 US Highway 206 (collecting coats through Dec. 31, benefiting the Somerset Presbyterian Church.) 908-359-7511.
- Dr. Raziano, D.M.D and Dr. DeStefano, D.M.D., 1130 Route 202 South Suite B-2 (accepting coats through Jan. 31; hours, Mon. - Fri., 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.), 908-722-8256.
- Middlebush Reformed Church, 1 South Middlebush Road (accepting coats through Jan. 15; hours, Mon. - Fri., 9 a.m. - 12 noon), 732-873-2776.