Hillsborough Elementary School
908-431-6600, option 4, option 2
Situated between the town's two main roads, Route 206 and Amwell Road, Hillsborough Elementary School houses grades kindergarten through 4th.
The school's curriculum includes reading, writing, handwriting and spelling, math, social studies, science, health, physical education, library skills, art, music and foreign language.
The school also provides academic support instruction for students who need it, services for special needs students, English as a second language support, guidance, a child study team, speech and a gifted program known as REACH (Reach, Explore Academic and Creative Heights).
In addition, the school prides itself on its character education program, and selects a character trait students study -- and attempt to embody -- each month. Mike Volpe has been principal since 2006.
- Fax: (908) 874-3693
- Hours: 1st - 4th grades, 8:30am - 3:05pm; Morning Kindergarten, 8:30am - 11:17am; Afternoon Kindergarten, 12:17pm - 3:05pm
- Handicap Accessible: Handicap parking spaces, handicap bathrooms, ramp at school's front entrance
- Number of students: 511
- Public/Private: Public
- Financial aid: No
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 10.6:1, according to New Jersey School Report Card data from 2008-2009
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 70
- Grade levels: K - 4
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Hillsborough Elementary School has a student council that meets monthly. Classroom teachers select students to represent their class each month, and base the selections on how well the student embodied a specific character trait during the prior month.
- Sports teams: The Hillsborough Township Recreation Department handles sports for grades K - 4.