New Jersey Hall of Famer Joetta Clark-Diggs, of Hillsborough, knows how to draw a crowd, and those joining her at the Sept. 20 fundraising dinner for the Joetta Clark Diggs Sports Foundation will be among a crowd of Olympic athletes.
The eighth annual Joetta Clark Diggs Sports Extravaganza “Athletes Galore” event, sponsored by Johnson & Johnson, will benefit the Joetta Clark Diggs Sports Foundation, which works to bring "fitness programs, knowledge, joy and inspiration to children throughout the state of New Jersey."
Joining the Sports Extravaganza will be 14 former Olympic and world champion athletes, including:
will begin with the Horizon NJ Health VIP Red Carpet Reception. Celebrity athletes scheduled to attend include
- Bob Beamon (1968 Olympic Gold medalist/World Record holder);
- Jearl Miles-Clark (Five-time Olympian/ Two Gold medals),;
- Dwight Phillips (Two-time Gold medal winner);
- Mark Breland (1984 Olympic Gold medal winner);
- Donna de Varona (Two-time Gold medal winner);
- Norman Tate(1968 Olympian);
- Phaidra Knight (USA Rugby Player of the Decade);
- Cheryl Littlejohn (1987 NCAA Basketball Championship team);
- Edwin Roberts (Three-time Olympian/Bronze medal winner);
- Candy Young (1980 Olympian);
- Sharieffa Barksdale (1984 Olympian);
- Hazel Clark(Three-time Olympian);
- Dr. Lillian Green Chamberlain (1958 Women track & field pioneer);
- Gail Marquis (1980 Silver medal winner) and more.
The Joetta Clark Diggs Sports Foundation was founded by four-time Olympian, author, businesswoman and New Jersey Hall of Fame member Joetta Clark Diggs.
The foundation works to promote involvement in physical activities for girls and boys from kindergarten to the 12th grade by teaching good health and positive work ethics associated with participation in sports and introducing the different opportunities for girls & boys in the sports and entertainment industry.
The Sports Extravaganza will be held Sept. 20 at the Bridgewater Marriott, with a 6 p.m. VIP Red Carpet Reception for the athletes sponsored by Horizon NJ Health, followed by dinner, an awards banquet and dancing at 7 p.m.
Tickets are available on the Joetta Sports and Beyond website.