After suffering through a day of headaches Sunday, a Hillsborough family reportedly discovered high carbon monoxide levels in their home after purchasing a new monitor.
The incident highlights growing concerns as more and more houses become better sealed to reduce energy consumption. Levels of carbon monoxide can build up inside the house because of leaky furnace ventilation flues and gas stove exhaust, leading to conditions such as the family experienced—or worse.
High level of CO can also cause dizziness, inability to focus and if the level of CO in the blood stream is too high, unconscienceness or even death.
Many newer fire and smoke alarms include carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide detection—but be sure to check the batteries in your alarms regularly.
For more information, Hillsborough Health Public Health Information Officer Siobhan Spano recommended residents check the Centers for Disease Control pages on carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you think you may need a new detectors, check at Lowe's and ShopRite.