It can be hard to get a measurement on local economic conditions, but one indicator may be the number of people looking to start a new business—and if that's true, then 2013 is off to a slightly slower start than 2012.
Searching the registration of trademarks with the county clerk's office in Somerville for new registrations for businesses that will be either based in Hillsborough or owned by Hillsborough residents yielded 10 new registrations between Jan. 1 and Feb. 26, 2013 (Hillsborough does not issue business licenses).
That's down three from the same period in 2012, not a huge number but a possible indicator of local business development.
We'll check in with the county to watch how the numbers change this year.
The new trademarks registered were:
- Antonio Chan Janitorial Services
- BRB Forensics (land surveying, planning services)
- Bulbul Co. (clothing)
- Carpentry Kingdom
- Rosea Fine Art (fine art sales)
- Christina Paul (author)
- Concerned Owners of Alexandria Association
- Salsa Y Kontrol (entertainment services)
- Inca Maya Restaurant, opening in North Plainfield
- Margil Heating and Cooling Co.