Friends of the Hillsborough Library Membership Drive: “Fund Buddy”
Become a member of the Friends of the Hillsborough Library and help “Buddy the Bookworm” provide funding for a new Early Learning Center computer for the Children's Area. Buddy’s goal is 100 new members by October 1st! Stop by the Hillsborough Library's Children's Department and fill out an application today! Remember, your membership fee is tax deductible! Thank you for your support!!
Did you know that the Friends of the Hillsborough Library have daily book sales?? DVDs, CDs and hardcover books are only $1. Paperbacks, records, children’s books and magazines are only 25 cents! VHS tapes are FREE! September Special: All Hardcover Books are 50 cents each!
Adult Services Programs from Sept. 9 through Sept. 21:
- Health Insurance 101 – Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. Katherine Woodfield Hermes, a Health Insurance Consumer Advocate will present a program for those interested in or confused by health care reform, insurance exchanges or The Patient Protection and the Affordable Care Act.
- Zumba – Sept. 10 and Sept. 18 at 7 p.m. Zumba combines high energy music with unique moves and combinations that allow you to dance your way to a fitter you with exciting rhythms. Join us for an energizing five week series. As long as you are moving and having fun, there is no wrong way to Zumba! Tuesday 9/10, Wednesdays Sept. 18, Sept. 25, Oct. 2. Please remember to wear comfortable clothing and bring water.
- Friends of the Library Book Discussion – Sept. 10 at 7:30 p.m. The featured book of this discussion is The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Moshin Homid.
- Afternoon Movie: The Secrets of Highclere Castle – Sept. 17 at 3 p.m. All are welcome to join us for a virtual tour of the English castle that is the setting for the Downton Abbey television series. A brief discussion and refreshments will follow this DVD screening.
- Be Prepared: Disaster Planning – Sept. 19 at 7 p.m. Join us as Tony DeMatteo from the Somerset County Office of Emergency Management will present a highly informative program to review a 72 hour emergency preparedness plan and how to assemble an emergency kit. Tony will also review available opportunities for the general public including CERT (the Community Emergency Response Team) and CART (the Community Animal Response Team).
- Friday Night Movie: The Great Gatsby – Sept. 20 at 7 p.m. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Joel Edgerton, Tobey Maguire. Rated PG-13.
- ID Theft Protection – Sept. 21 at 10 a.m. Robert Lackie, Rider University Professor, will help you analyze ID issues, and apply safeguards at work, home, and on the road. Light refreshments will be served!
Youth Services Programs from Sept. 16 through Sept. 21:
- Volunteer Opportunities – Grades 8-12 We are looking for reliable teen volunteers in Grades 8-12 to provide assistance during our Game On! and Lego Club programs, in addition to “Adopt-a-Shelf” Volunteers. Check our website or call the Children’s Desk at 908 360-2200 ext. 14for more information.
- Monday Morning Playtime – For Parents/Caregivers – Sept. 16 at 10 a.m. This program will have different topics of discussion along with recommended resources. Children ages birth through 36 months are welcome, there will be toys for them to play with. Join us for some great social interaction!
- Story Time: School – Ages 4-6 – Sept. 16 at 1 p.m. Help your preschool or kindergarten child get ready to read! Enjoy stories together and build language skills. No registration required!
- Game On! Volunteer Opportunity – Grades 8-12 – Sept. 16 at 3:30 p.m. We are looking for reliable teen volunteers in Grades 8-12 to provide assistance during our Game On! programs. Teen volunteers will help set-up the program, assist in game instruction, provide suggestions and encouragement, and will demonstrate an enthusiastic presence throughout the program.
- Game On! – Grades 3-5 – Sept. 16 at 4 p.m. Bring your game face for a variety of Wii games and board games! Ignite your strategy brain!
- Toddler Time for 2's and 3's: ABC – Ages 2-3 – Sept. 17 at 10 a.m. Introduce the pleasure of books to your child! Join us for stories, songs & more. No registration is required!
- Rhyme Time for ages Newborn - 24 Months – Sept. 17 at 10:30 a.m. Build brainpower! Join us for 20 minutes of nursery rhyme fun!
- City of Bones Party – Grades 6-12 – Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. Are you obsessed with The Mortal Instruments series? Did you love The City of Bones movie? Meet up with other fans at our party! Test your skills in our Shadowhunter obstacle course, make your own runes and stele, and more! Fun, snacks and prizes!
- Movin’ Munchkins – Ages 3-6 ONLY – Sept. 18 at 10 a.m. Join us for a creative movement program for the child and parent/caregiver! **Please note: An SCLS Release/Waiver must be filled out and signed by the parent or the child cannot participate in this program. Forms are available at the Children's Desk, or you can print one from our online calendar. Younger children are allowed but must remain in strollers at all times and cannot participate.
- Neshanic Garden Club: Shell Decorated Flower Pots – Grades 2-4 – Sept. 18 at 4 p.m.
- Join the members of the Neshanic Garden Club and make something fun!
- Special Storytime: Celebrate Happy Cat Month! – Ages 2-6 – Sept. 19 at 10 a.m. Join us for stories and activities!
- Creature Comfort Pets – Grades K-2 – Sept. 19 at 4 p.m. This is a Creature Comfort Pet Therapy Program! Children will read out loud to a 'Creature Comfort' pet! Each child will get 10 minutes of reading time while a rabbit or dog listens! Online registration is NOT available for this program – call or stop by the Children’s Desk. Please arrive early – if you are late for your time slot you will lose your spot!
- Story & Songs – Ages 2-6 – Sept. 20 at 10 a.m. Join us for an interactive story and some musical activities!
The Hillsborough Public Library is on Twitter and Facebook! “Follow” or “Like” us and receive updates on programs, registration for events at the library, and other info.
All programs are held at the Hillsborough Library, 379 South Branch Road, Hillsborough, NJ. For more information on any of the programs, or to register, please call the Hillsborough Public Library at (908) 369-2200 ext. 14 for children's programs and ext. 12 for adult programs. Registration can also be done online using the library calendar, Facebook or Twitter. For additional programs and information check the library website @ www.sclsnj.org.