Take Advantage of E-Books at the Library
The library's closed today, but did you know you can still take advantage of its services?
Washington and Lincoln's birthdays, which are today and next Monday, mean the Hillsborough Public Library won't be open—but that doesn't mean a gap in your reading schedule.
Instead, curl up with your e-reader and take advantage of the library's collection of e-books that can be downloaded without even leaving the house. About 8,000 titles in a variety of genres are available, whether you're looking for biographies, fantasy, mystery, reference or romance.
Of course, you'll need a library card in order to borrow the e-books, and you'll need the software that's associated with your e-reader in order to use the books. The Somerset County Library system has a guide to the process—and trouble-shooting—on its website.
Don't spend too much time browsing the titles when you're looking though. Items that you want to borrow are placed in a "cart" and will disappear after 30 minutes. And lending periods vary from title to title, though you can set up personal lending periods too.
Here's what you need to know today:
- You Need to Know About the Library: It’s closed today, in observance of Washington’s Birthday.
- You Need to Know About Township Offices: The library is closed, but township offices are still open. They’ll be closed next Monday, Feb. 20, in observance of President’s Day.
- You Need to Know About Cheese, Grommit: Rachel Simpers, ShopRite’s in-store dietician, hosts a 11 a.m. workshop on choosing the right cheese for your diet—be it full fat, reduced fat or fat free. There will be samples, so cheese lovers take note.
- You Need to Know Where to Dine: Hillsborough Applebees hosts a dining to donate night that begins at 5 p.m. tonight and benefits Hillsborough Volunteer Fire Company 1. You’ll need to bring the flyer—which is in the event listing here, or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org— in order for the company to get 10 percent of your bill.
- You Need to Know About Meetings: The Board of Education meets tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Auten Road Intermediate School.